Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yoa likes Synths.

Yoa counts as my musical and English counterpart, too, right?

*clears throat*

So, I've found that certain synths are epic. In this case, I'm talking about the top dogs: Korg, Roland, Yamaha.

Korg, my personal favourite, is a bawss. I have their Kaossilator, but I have my eye on the MicroKORG, the M3, and the Kronos. I'm working towards the MicroKORG now.

I love its versatility: analogue sounds, modern synth under the hood, its interface is easy to understand and acts a bit like a vintage MOOG. The vocoder is a selling point, too, and it can accept external input, so maybe Devin Taylor can play his guitar through it. If I let him. HAHAHA!!

The M3 and Kronos are very similar to Roland's Jupiter 80 and Yamaha's MOTIF series. They are all very powerful, yet they are all so different in their own way.

Roland has its incredible 4-phase LFO, which is unmatched by any other LFO. It's also designed for live use, so it's very easy to use. It can also do multiple types of recording, and can communicate with a computer via USB. Its MIDI capabilities are a nice touch, too. May as well link it with other synths and make a modern elektrobahn!

(Speaking of Roland, their Juno series is probably one of the most advanced synths for the money. Check it out.)

The MOTIFs are capable of creating any sound, any beat, anything you want -- but that's what a synth, does, right Yoa? Yes, but its engine can handle so much more than basic synth stuff. AND, it's a workstation, so it is pretty much a studio in a big black box with keys. Just give it an amp. Its 4 voice arps (4 of which, btw) can create a whole lotta stuff for ya. 16 note arppegiated chords. Aw yea.

The Korg Kronos is a kind of mix between them, with a Korg touch. Its 9 engines can produce an extrordinary range of sounds. Its interface is a little complicated, but it gets easy to use after just a few minutes. Oh, and you can import sounds via USB.

The M3 is like a more user-friendly version of the Triton series, just below the Kronos. But, it is slightly less feature rich than the Kronos, and feels like a cheap keyboard, but otherwise, it's incredible.

(speaking of Korg, their X50 is a very nice synth also running the Triton engine.)

Of course, there are other promising synths out there, but those are my personal favs, not including the MiniMOOG.

Virtual synths are very nice, too. I mainly like the Minimogue va and the synths built into Live 8. The Mini is free, though. It reenacts a MiniMOOG almost perfectly. Live's synths are more modern sounding and far more advanced. I still want to be able to isolate them and use them independently, though. I'm working on that.

Play on.

No comments:

Post a Comment